Oxford Karate Academy

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the OKA forum!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Strength Building  (Read 35381 times)

Xiaoyun

• OKA Member
    • View Profile
Re: Strength Building
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2007, 01:21:54 AM »

Thanks Shihan,

currently i'm trying to do some bag work at the gym once a week - along with cardio and a few light weights. This has improved my fitness - however the punch bags at the gym seem really soft and bouncy - quite hard to control if you hit it hard. 

going to try do some running on the beach this summer - apparently that's good for you  :P
trying a few other dojos at the mo - went to a Wu wei Do school which has  a lot of goju in it but then blends with other styles higher up... It was interesting to partake in a class with a slightly different style. I think it's Goju - with martial arts from southern China mixed in. But I still prefer goju as a pure style - it just makes more logical sense to me.. but I'm considering being open to another style if we really can't find a suitable dojo nearby.

:) well that's just what we're up to at the moment.

Death

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2008, 02:44:28 PM »

Xioyun, just a comment about the 'light weights' thing.
I know most girls don't like to go heavy because of the fear of becoming overly muscular, but really you could be going heavier because it's no amount of training of any kind will make you any bigger unless you eat to facilitate it.
Calorie intake is what affects whether you get bigger or not, you could have a world class bodybuilding regime and not gain more then a few pounds if you eat the same amount of food as you normally would.
The reasoning behind this is basically that every part of your body needs energy (calories) to stay alive, and also the same applies to creating mass, no excess energy = no resources to create new muscle.
This is why professional bodybuilders will eat 6-8 thousand calories a day, they need the excess calories to create new muscle (more than is needed to sustain their current weight).

If you find your current regime is benefiting you then that's fine, but if you go heavier and up the weight a bit you might find that you will make gains in strength and explosiveness, which reminds me, have you every tried any kind of plyometrics?

If I'm being too overzealous here then just tell me to shut up, I have a habit of writing long winded posts.

pratishtha

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2009, 06:19:04 PM »

A variety of ways are available. Wide, narrow, extended in front, inclined, inverted, with weight, with height added etc. Oh, and then get bench pressing, negatives, with a variety of inclined, wide grip, narrow, flyes, pec deck machines etc.

I really struggle with push ups because my arms always feel so weak - and my elbow can give in sometimes... also are your elbows supposed to point inwards to your ribs or out a little bit?

do you have your chin up and looking forward or looking down?

Re: sit ups -  i find my neck gets stiff after only a few sit ups could this mean i'm not doing them properly? how are you supposed to support your neck?

Fraser

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 12:50:10 PM »

Different arm positions will achieve slightly different results.

Normally for push ups we aim for keeping the arms fully along side the body, so the movement is the same as a fully chambered drill punch, the direction of the extension is then perpendicular to the body with as little wasted energy in alternate directions as possible. Your head should be held straight in line with the rest of the body like a plank.

You should place your hands behind your head when doing sit ups, and not let your head move around. Sore necks are usually caused by people trying to throw their head forward to start the sit up, keep your head stable, it isn't what you are meant to be working out ;)
Don't let your shoulder blades hit the floor as you go down, you aren't meant to be hitting your back / bouncing off the floor, and it's then that most people start flicking their head forward.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]